(Updated 7/7/20) PLEASE READ BEFORE CALLING OR COMING IN, ESPECIALLY ON A MONDAY OR SATURDAY- We suggest not calling or visiting the store during the first two hours we're open. We cannot handle even 50% of the phone calls coming in. We are also hitting another peak time between 2:30-4:30pm during which you might not get through. We may be implementing a one hour close in the middle of the day; you'll know about it if you're on our email list or you can check here. We apologize that we cannot scale to handle the sudden surge in the popularity of the bicycle. For the time being we suggest sending emails (to MikeJ@ChainReaction.com) if you cannot get through; we will try to respond later that day. Thank you, and please know that we are doing everything we can to come out the other side of this in one piece and look forward to things returning to normal again. MikeJ and the rest of the staff at Chain Reaction Bicycles.
AND WE'RE DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN TO HELP! BUT YOU SHOULD READ THIS BEFORE COMING INTO THE STORE-
- Masks are required. And not just any mask; they must be non-vented masks, as per county instructions. That means... no vents. What's a "vent"? It's something built into some masks that allows air to be filtered coming in, but not when you exhale. Perfect for air pollution! Terrible if the goal is to reduce stuff they're breathing into the air, towards other people. And please, if we see a nose, or a mouth, we will ask you to cover up.
- You will need to wait at the door for assistance. As soon as someone is available to help, we will come out and find out what you need, and make sure you're taken care of. We will try to save you time; if you're looking for something we can't help with, we'll let you know immediately. We are doing this to reduce congestion in the store for a safer Covid-19-aware environment, protecting both you and our staff.
- Bikes are the new hand sanitizer. Or toilet paper. Or whatever is impossible to find. Demand for bikes is huge; we have basically sold out of all mountain, hybrid & kids bikes below $1500. We do have over 900 bikes on backorder and know what is coming in, and when, so we can take orders ahead of time, making sure you get what you want. It just won't often be as soon as we'd like!
- Until we move to our new location, we are unable to accept bikes for repair that weren't purchased from us. Even with that awful restriction, we are backed up 6 weeks. This is unbelievable and nearly unworkable. We are doing everything we can but it's not enough. We have run out of places to put them so, for now, repairs are on an appointment basis only. Bring the bike in a day or two ahead of time, and we'll have it ready on the scheduled day. Cancellations do not move things forward; we have adopted the airline model of over booking, assuming some won't show up. When everything does show up, we're in for a very long evening.
- Calling the store. OH. MY. GOSH. We used to average 5-6 calls an hour. We now get a call every 2 minutes, with all three lines often in use. There will be times when you get our recording, during our regular business hours (from opening until noon, and again from 2:30-4:30pm). Our first priority has to be to the customers in the store and lined up outside. Please call back in 15-30 minutes, or send an email to MikeJ@ChainReaction.com and we'll get back to you later that day.
- Please respect our efforts to sanitize the sales process. We will be cleaning our credit card machines immediately prior to every single sale, using alcohol. It takes a bit more time, but so far, no infections among our staff. We can't afford to lose a single person, and quarantine hitting a shop employee is not something we can afford to have happen.
Thanks for your patience! Mike & Steve & Karen & Kevin & Lexi & Cooke & Roger & Jose & Rolando & Don & Sonia